Kathleen Wright Brawn published Power of attorney accountability needs improvement, family member says in Blog 2015-09-16 22:11:31 -0700
Power of attorney accountability needs improvement, family member says
Sep 15, 2015 By CBC News
A power of attorney is meant to help families avoid financial problems when someone becomes unable to manage their money but a Nova Scotia woman says her experience has shown that power can be abused by the very person who's supposed to be protecting the finances.
Last week, the Nova Scotia's law reform commission called for an overhaul of how power of attorney works in the province, starting with clearer language and reporting rules.
- Powers of Attorney Act in Nova Scotia needs revision, says law reform group
- Power-of-attorney abuse more common than we think, expert says
- Casey Kasem's case highlights need for power of attorney, lawyers say
- Avoiding power of attorney fraud
Kathleen Wright Brawn posted about Take The Pledge on Facebook 2015-05-13 13:40:14 -0700Sign the petition: Take The Pledge2,196 pledges
Stop the Silence. Promote Awareness. Raise your Voice.
- 1 to 2 million Americans age 65+ report having been abused by a loved one or someone they depend on for care.
- Only 1 in 14 incidents of elder abuse are ever reported to authorities.
- Only 1 in 25 cases of financial exploitation are ever reported, meaning there may be at least 5 million financial abuse victims each year.
You can do your part to end the silent epidemic of elder abuse by taking the pledge to stand up against elder abuse. There are 10,000 people who are turning 65 each and every day (Pew Research Center), and we are rapidly approaching a time where nearly 50% of the population will be 65 or older. Together, we can end the silence of elder abuse by standing united and raising our voices against this growing problem.
Show your support in this movement, by pledging to end the silence, raising awareness in your community, and speaking up against elder abuse.
"Kerri Kasem is working to honor our elderly. . by God it is very important and obligation to dignify our eldery...Freedom from isolation. Go Kerri Kasem. Thank you." V. Amaral
"Without stimulation and love, people die." THANKS for pointing out that isolation is elder abuse." S. White
"I can't thank you enough for starting this conversation. Your dad would be so proud. He is smiling watching you change such an important part of wishes that I am sure were already planned. It breaks my heart for all the pain you endure to get something that should not even be a fight. You are inspirational and have helped me keep my head on straight knowing how hard you are working. Thank you from the bottom of my heart." R. Bove
"You are amazing! Keep up the fight for all those that can't." S. Benton